Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

Home

Strait of Hormuz/Tanker on FireBack
[Published: Monday July 27 2026]

 Huge oil tanker explodes near Iran after Trump pauses strikes

 
DUBAI, 27 July. - (ANA) - A huge oil tanker has exploded in the Straight of Hormuz after hitting a mine, according to the state's semi-official Tasnim news agency. The vessel was reportedly struck after straying from a route dictated by Iran.
 
Iranian authorities don't appear to have commented on the incident so far. It comes after US President Donald Trump suddenly called off a bombing campaign in favour of "diplomacy". Trump's ambassador to the UN, Mike Waltz, told Fox News that the President has paused the attacks as negotiations to find a permanent end to the conflict betweent the two nations continue.
 
"He's giving talks some space. He's giving it a little bit of room," Mr Waltz said. The senior aide didn't elaborate on the nature of the talks.
 
There had been 13 consecutive nights of strikes.
 
There have not been any further reports over the past couple of days of Iranian attacks on neighbouring countries in the Middle East allied to the US, a response the state has taken on numerous occasions since the US and Israel launched joint strikes on the Islamic Republic in February.
 
Washington gave various explanations for the neccessity to attack, including the need to topple Iran's brutal authoritarian government, and prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon.
 
Iran has always insisted its past nuclear enrichment was for civilian purposes.
 
The air campaign killed Iran's elderly former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and a number of other senior figures in the regime.
 
In response, Iran effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a vital trading route in the international oil trade, sending shockwaves through the global economy.
 
There have been intermittent flare ups in the fighting as Washington seeks to secure a deal to end the conflict, and reduce the impact of the strait's closure across the US economy.
 
The US continues its naval blockade of the waterway, and attacks exchanged between Saudi Arabia and Yemen's Houthi rebels (a Tehran-backed militant group) continue to demonstrate the ongoing risks of tensions spilling into different parts of the Middle East.   - (ANA) -
 
AB/ANA/27 July 2026 - - -
 
 
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon EU/Costly Extreme Heatwave
News icon Trump/Sailors Complain
News icon US/Hamas/Talks
News icon
News icon Israel's rejection of Gaza Deal/Condemned
News icon Lebanon/Death Toll up
News icon Vatican/uges end to West Bank violence
News icon UK/West Bank Terrorism
News icon July/Warmest on Record
News icon Myanmar/Attacks on Civilians

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007