[Published: Monday August 17 2026]
 Iran, US trade threats over Hormuz; Israel threatens to escalate in Lebanon
By Matthew Hoare
WASHINGTON/TEHRAN, 17 August. - (ANA) - Iran and the US are continuing to sabre-rattle over the Strait of Hormuz. Trump on Saturday claimed he could declare the strategic waterway a "territory of the United States" while a senior Iranian diplomat told the US to "accept the reality of defeat".
• The threats come ahead of Monday's deadline under the June Islamabad agreement, which gave the US and Iran two months to reach an understanding on reopening the key waterway.
• Iran's foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said talks with Oman over the strait are continuing but that re-opening the waterway is a "completely separate matter" that will depend on the US meeting Tehran's conditions.
• Qatar has denied claims by Iran that it is holding three pilots captured during a combat mission earlier in the war.
• Israel has threatened to further escalate attacks on Lebanon, a day after killing at least 11 people in one of the heaviest rounds of strikes since the ceasefire came into effect in June. - (ANA) -
AB/ANA/17 August 2026 - - - |